12 June 2019
The host country for the global launch of World Blood Donor Day 2019 will be Rwanda and will focus this year on safe blood transfusion. The World Health Organisation has developed the slogan ‘Safe Blood for All’ to encourage regular blood donations to ensure that all individuals and communities have access to affordable and timely supplies of safe and quality-assured blood.
Voluntary blood donations save millions of lives every year. Over the last year in the UK alone nearly 2.5 million pints of blood were used by patients. However, the reality is that there are still not enough of us donating. Whilst only 4% donate, 96% of us expect to receive blood when we need it. This combined with the fact that blood only remains usable for 35 days means that there is high pressure to have regular suppliers of fresh blood coming in. Your donation of blood could help women suffering from bleeding associated with pregnancy and childbirth; children suffering from anaemia due to malaria and malnutrition; patients with blood and bone marrow disorders; victims of trauma accidents and violence.
In the past year 16% of the total blood donations in the UK were from workplace donations, organised by some 1,553 employers. How can your Company be part of a movement that saves millions of lives each year?
• Register as a donor today! Visit the NHS Blood and Transplant site to check that you meet the criteria to donate and sign up now, it takes no more than 5 minutes to register and you get a free cup of tea and biscuits after every donation! https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/registering-online/
• Allow employees paid time off on 14th June to donate blood – visit the following link to find your closest donation venue https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/about-our-donation-venues/
• Stage a mobile blood donation unit at your workplace. For more information contact the National Blood Service on 0300 123 23 23.
• Provide employees with an informative leaflet, there is plenty of material online. https://www.scotblood.co.uk/giving-blood/publications/giving-blood-donor-information-leaflet/
• Start your own campaign! For every 1 pint of blood donated 3 lives can be saved. Aim to save a certain amount of lives within your Company and reward employees for doing so. For example, an extra day of holiday for donating 3 times in a year.