STRATTON Case Study:
Company: Green Issues
Solution type: Performance Management
Change is good
Leadership transitions can be hard, but they don't have to be. Stratton helped a communications consultancy realise the opportunities in the challenges.
Green Issues Communications is a unique consultancy specialising in stakeholder communications. Working in fields such as planning, community consultation and crisis management, they support clients in securing planning approvals for a range of developments through the delivery of high-quality political, communications and consultation services.
Green Issues was facing the challenges of a leadership transition. As the founder of the business handed the operational reins over to the next generation, the business had an opportunity to adapt its culture and style to suit the new leadership team.
In addition, Green Issues had reached a level of critical mass where structured HR support was required. They had only a limited performance management framework and little focus on motivation, training and development. To attract and retain high-calibre staff, they needed to be smarter about recruitment and rewards.
We created a new performance management framework and toolkit for the business.
Through a complete HR evaluation and strategic action plan, we:
- Clarified the key performance criteria for each area of the business, and identified the behaviours necessary for improved performance
- Developed a customised performance management framework based on the workshop findings
- Designed and developed all performance management templates required to put the framework processes in place
- Created a personal development plan template to use in training requirements
- Carried out a bespoke training course covering performance management principles, including objective-setting, appraisal, verbal and written feedback, and self-assessment
Green Issues confidently integrated the new processes in July of 2007. As Stratton's solutions have become embedded in the business, they have:
- Helped improve working relationships
- Provided the necessary focus for the business
- Helped the leadership team set expectations and manage performance proactively
- Empowered staff and made management accountable
- Helped ensure career paths and development opportunities are well-articulated
- Made performance consistently measurable